If Statements in a list

  1. #1

    If Statements in a list

    I'm trying to use an If statement to complete a form. I'm trying to pull the text from column c and insert the corresponding info into column d. for example: if the show is 'x' in column c, then insert 'theatre' in column d. However, because the text is coming from a drop down list in column c, i keep getting an error returned. There is no way to sort the shows in column c because they are arranged based on time, which also changes, not their title.

    Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you in advance,
    Jeff

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: If Statements in a list

    In D1 enter =IF(C1="x","Theatre",""), and copy down as far as
    needed/anticipated.

  3. #3

    Re: If statements in a list

    Hi Kassie,

    Thank you for your input. I've tried that and it doesn't work. The data in column c is coming from a drop-down list. I've input your exact text and nothing appears. it's as if the if statement doesn't see the text. Also, there is a total ten plays today and i can only nest 7 statements, any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

  4. #4
    kassie
    Guest

    Re: If Statements in a list

    Nothing should happen, until you select an item from the drop-down list.
    Once updated with the value "x", theatre should appear in cell D1. If you
    are not using C1 and D1, then obviously you have to adapt the formula.

    If you want to evaluate more than 7 levels, you are best advised to create a
    lookup table (sorted), showing each condition, and its appropriate response.
    Eg, if you want to test for
    x theatre
    y cinema
    z TV,
    etc, then somewhere on your sheet, or another sheet in the same workbook,
    set up this list, give it a descriptive name :Insert - Name - Define and call
    it say conditions. Now use VLOOKUP to evaluate and give the result.
    something like
    =IF(C1="","",VLOOKUP(C1,conditions,2,FALSE)) in D1.