How do i "lock" an array...or something...

  1. #1
    rich
    Guest

    How do i "lock" an array...or something...

    Hi,

    Trying to work out how to get the Calc to check if the value of B1 is in
    an column C1 to C3000, then return that value in A1.

    I have tried to use MATCH but when i put the equation into the rows
    below, it incriments the cells so the formula for row 2 would be

    =MATCH(B2,C2:C3001)

    I need the formula to be

    =MATCH(B2,C1:C3000)

    Rich

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How do i "lock" an array...or something...

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =MATCH(B1,C$1:C$3000)

    Copy down as needed.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    rich

    Biff wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > =MATCH(B1,C$1:C$3000)
    >
    > Copy down as needed.
    >
    > Biff
    >
    > "rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Trying to work out how to get the Calc to check if the value of B1 is in
    >>an column C1 to C3000, then return that value in A1.
    >>
    >>I have tried to use MATCH but when i put the equation into the rows below,
    >>it incriments the cells so the formula for row 2 would be
    >>
    >>=MATCH(B2,C2:C3001)
    >>
    >>I need the formula to be
    >>
    >>=MATCH(B2,C1:C3000)
    >>

    >>Rich

    Thanks, that worked, but now i need to get it to return the matched
    string to the cell rather than the number of matches...

    so if the contents of B1 was 1001 , then i would like the A1 to get 1001
    in it as well (but only if matched to a value in C1:C3000)

    Clear as mud, i'm sure but cannot think of a better way to put it.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    hi!

    try this!

    in A1:

    =IF(B1="","",IF(ISNA(INDEX($B$1:$B$5,MATCH(B1,$C$1:$C$5,0))),"",INDEX($B$1:$B$5,MATCH(B1,$C$1:$C$5,0))))

    and copy down upto A5,
    assuming that your data in A1:C5

    -via135

    assuming that data is in B1:C5

    -via135

    Thanks, that worked, but now i need to get it to return the matched
    string to the cell rather than the number of matches...

    so if the contents of B1 was 1001 , then i would like the A1 to get 1001
    in it as well (but only if matched to a value in C1:C3000)

    Clear as mud, i'm sure but cannot think of a better way to put it.
    Last edited by via135; 05-07-2006 at 12:00 PM.

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How do i "lock" an array...or something...

    Try this in A1:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,C$1:C$3000,0)),B1,"")