MAX #, display name

  1. #1

    MAX #, display name

    I have 10 cells w/ various amounts of numbers. I want a formula to find the max number and instead of showing that amount, have it show the name that goes w/ that amount. Do I use the IF and MAX function?

    names in A1, A2, A3 and so on
    numbers in B1,B2,B3 and so on

    thanks,

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: MAX #, display name

    =INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(MAX(B1:B10),B1:B10,0))

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: MAX #, display name

    Try this:

    =INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(MAX(B1:B10),B1:B10,0))

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4

    INDEX(MATCH(MAX formula, multiple answers

    thanks for the help so far,

    here's the formula that I'm using:

    =INDEX($C$35:$AF$35,MATCH(MAX(C41:AF41),C41:AF41,0))
    where $C$35:$AF$35 contains names of people & C41:AF41 contains #'s.

    This works great if there isn't a tie. Is there a formula to search the range, find the max # and if there are two answers display both names.

    ex. the max# is 3 and both joe and sam have 3. it would then show joe / sam or something like that. Is this possible?

    If not, then if there is a tie for the max #, to have the cell just display tie.

    Thanks,