Copying Formulas

  1. #1

    Copying Formulas

    i need help copying formulas. i know excel assumes all references are relative....but i don't want it to, but i also don't want them absolute either!

    For Example:
    i have data in columns A-D and rows 1-10 (it's a mixture of data and formulas) pertaining to one employee. I copied this section 20 times below the original (for an additional 20 employees).

    Then in Row 1 and Columns E-BC i created formulas to manipulate the data for the first employee (so all the formulas use cells A1-D10). When i copy these formulas to Row 2, Columns E-BC the formula defaults to the data in the cells one row below what i used for employee one. How do I copy it and tell it to use Rows 11-20 (rather than 2-11)??

    I know I can manually go in and alter each formula....but i really don't want to do that. any help would be appreciated. thank you!

  2. #2
    Abode
    Guest

    RE: Copying Formulas

    Im not quite sure if I understand your question right. Do you mean that you
    want E-BC on on Row 1 to referance Employee1 Data and E-BC on Row 2 to
    Referance Employee 2 Data. Same thing with Row3 and Emoployee3. If that is
    so then the only way I know of to get the results you are looking for is to
    Copy Row 1 E-BC and paste it to the first line of each Employees Data... then
    when you've done that Cut each one of those pastes (Be sure to Cut it) and
    paste it into the rows you want.

    If you Copy and Paste all the cell referances will keep their relitive
    position. If you Cut and Paste then they keep their actual position.
    Hopefully I understood your question correctly and gave you a possible
    sollution.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Try changing to indirect references of the order

    =INDIRECT("D"&ROW()*10-9)

    If you have a further problem post the formula that you have a problem with

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by kellbro