Excel problem - urgent

  1. #1

    Question trendline equation

    Hi all,

    I have a task to do for a uny but unfortunately I have no idea what do I have to do and where do I have to start.

    Here is the problem:

    Problem 1
    The length of a metal rod is measured repeatedly as its temperature changes. The table shows the resulting data.

    T(C) - L(cm)
    10 - 64.600
    15 - 64.603
    20 - 64.605
    25 - 64.608
    30 - 64.612
    35 - 64.614

    The length of a rod is related to its temperature by the general linear equation:

    L = Lo + Lo a T

    where: Lo is the lenght of the rod at T = 0C

    and a is the coefficient of linear expansion

    ----

    You are required to do the following using Excel.

    1.Plot L against T with the trendline equation.
    2.Find the value of Lo and a using the SLOPE and INTERCEPT functions.
    3.Use the equation found to calculate the rod length at 48C

    Any help or advice will be highly appriciated.

    Thanks a lot.

    D.S.
    Last edited by infodata; 05-12-2006 at 11:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Excel problem - urgent

    I would suggest to start by checking if the Analysis ToolPack add-in is
    installed (Tools -> Add-ins), as those functions are available there.
    After that, you can place the formulas in your worksheet, and check the help
    for the functions; it comes with some examples, that may be useful in your
    case. There is also a good step by step help on how to add a trendline to a
    graph.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.