Index files

  1. #1
    woodruff1
    Guest

    Index files

    I am trying to transfer index card files onto my computor. I have just bought
    Excel 2003 to do this but still cant figure it out. Each card has several
    important facts..Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank-you

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    Los Angeles, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    Posts
    12,607
    What characteristics do your index cards have in common?
    • Names?
    • Addresses?
    • Telephone Numbers?
    • e-mail addresses?
    • product codes?

    Each of the above "fields" would be a column title; whereas, each card itself would be entered on a separate row: one card = one row.

    You should know, though, that the same could have been done with a table created using a word processor such as WordPerfect or MS Word, without the expense of buying Excel.

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Index files

    Basic database stuff:

    Each index card is 'record'. Each piece of information on a index card is a
    'data field'.

    Open Excel.
    In each of the cells in the top row, type the heading (data field) that
    appears on your record cards.
    In each of the following rows type in information from your index card.

    Job done!

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions