Case sensitive filtering

  1. #1

    Case sensitive filtering

    Does anyone know of a way to filter using case sensitive characters? For example, I need to filter a list of tasks, and to mark differnet stages each one is in, I have a charcter in Column A but i want "x" and "X" to read differently and filter for each seperately. Using a different character doesn't work because it will affect my sorting and macros that are specific to the character in that cell.
    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    This thread might help you

    http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=521909

  3. #3
    No help there. I need to filter the list in place based on criteria in colA. it would also be nice to filter by format as well. That would give me multiple stages for each character. For example...
    Stage A could be broken up into A, A, A, a, a, a.
    It would still all sort as "A" but i could filter by each stage of A or all BOLD stages of A, B, and C.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Case sensitive filtering

    What do you mean by filter by criteria, what kind of filter are you applying,
    advanced or autofilter, if advanced you would need a criteria like

    =EXACT(A5,"X")

    so if you put that in H2 you would use

    $H$1:$H$2

    as criteria with H1 blank and A5 would be the first cell with data in column A

    if you use autofilter you would need a help column and same formula

    =EXACT(A5,"X"), copy down then filter on TRUE

    "X" can be replaced in both formulas with a cell where you put the criteria

    For what it's worth next version of Excel will allow some more filterng
    options like colour etc

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom