Advanced Links

  1. #1

    Advanced Links

    Hi,

    I need to display info from a different xls file using info from current xls file to determine which xls the data info is from....

    so far i have

    ="'\\Alpha\Client Serv\OfficeDocs\Invoices\[0"&MIDB(A7,2,5)&".xls]Invoice'!$E$47"

    where A7=D12345

    basically a7 is a job number and invoices are created as 012345.xls (job number -D+0) and i want to display some info from this invoice in a different xls file. Each row will be a different job thus a different invoice filename.

    Many thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Advanced Links

    You'd want to use the =indirect() function, but that only works when the
    "sending" workbook is open.

    But Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a
    closed workbook.

    You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
    Look for pull.zip

    Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
    http://xcell05.free.fr/

    That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.

  3. #3
    thanks m8

    very helpful of u