How to return the Number of shares for a given stock code for a given portfolio

  1. #1

    How to return the Number of shares for a given stock code for a given portfolio

    If I have 2 stocks A & B in a portfolio and the same stocks A and B are in other portfolios. How can I return the correct number of shares I own for a given stock in a given portfolio?

    The data set is arranged by portfolio name and then the name of the stock and then the number of shares.

    I am trying to call the respective stock in the given portfolio so as to return the number of shares therein.

    I tried to use a sumif function which works if the stock is unique to a portfolio. However if the same stock is in 2 portfolios I get back the total number of shares.

    Can someone suggest a solution that returns the correct number of shares for a given stock for a given portfolio.

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: How to return the Number of shares for a given stock code for a gi

    You may use SUM as an array formula. In you example, if you have your
    porfolios in A1:A100, your stocks in B1:B100 and the shares in C1:C100 you
    can use:
    =SUM((A1:A100="porfolio")*(B1:B100="stock")*C1:C100)
    Enter the formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, change the ranges and values as
    appropiate.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.