+ Reply to Thread

Automating averaging a column over time periods.

Automating averaging a column over time periods.

I have another pretty difficult problem, and unfortunately my workbook is 5mb (!) big so I can't upload it for clarity. I can upload a small portion if anyone needs it.

Basically: I have a column with a timestamp starting from 1300 hours on day 1 until 0800 hours 187 hours later (8 days later). From this I calculated a running total (or cumulative total) of time from 1300 on day 1. Now, for every hour of cumulative time I want to average the values of that hour for some attached columns. This isn't too difficult to do by hand, but is there an automated way to do it?

A couple of problems:

1 - the number of points in each hour varies - some may have 2 data points to be averaged, others may have hundreds.

2 - Sometimes there are data points that stretch over the boundary of an hour i.e. a data point that lasts for half an hour will go over an hour boundary by 15 minutes (for example). I then have to split this data point up into two, with 15 minutes both before and after the hour boundary. This is incredibly time consuming.

I have no idea how to automate this, and I've been stuck on it for quite a long time. I will attach a sample of my spread sheet. Please ask if you have questions.

I've had this problem for a while now and I can't figure out anything. If anyone here can help me I would be very grateful. I've lost all hope!

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Sorry, I forgot to attach the file. Here it is:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bump.

Is there any vital information or any questions? This would really help me!

Adam Shand-Davies.

One last bump before I give up for good. Have I stumped Excel?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information