+ Reply to Thread

VLookup Function

VLookup Function

WENFootballPoll.JPG

In the following spreadsheet, I'm trying to get the Vlookup function to, well, function..lol. I'm trying to get it to put a zero in the total fields if the "winner" field doesn't match. Excel won't add the columns unless I get a zero in there. Can someone help me with this??? email me at [email protected] if you can help...thanks...

MS-Off Ver
    Instead of =VLOOKUP(a1,b1:c2,2,0)

use

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(a1,b1:c2,2,0)),0,VLOOKUP(a1,b1:c2,2,0))

Quote Originally Posted by daddylonglegs
    Instead of =VLOOKUP(a1,b1:c2,2,0)

use

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(a1,b1:c2,2,0)),0,VLOOKUP(a1,b1:c2,2,0))
    Hey, thanks for the response. I am having trouble with this though.. It gave me the zero I wanted, but I'm not proficient enough in excel to understand how to use this. can you look at my attachment and then pick a cell and apply the formula to that cell for me, so I can see it working?? It would be a big help. Thanks..

Got it working....Now...as you can see, I've got to put this formula in a TON of places all with different cell criteria... Is there a way to batch post this formula and have it automatically adjust the formula for the cell its in? Otherwise its going to be a HUGE undertaking...

MS-Off Ver
    I can't tell from your attachment what formula you're using but you should be able to make the references to the lookup range absolute by using $ signs, can you post your first VLOOKUP formula?

Quote Originally Posted by daddylonglegs
    I can't tell from your attachment what formula you're using but you should be able to make the references to the lookup range absolute by using $ signs, can you post your first VLOOKUP formula?
    Sure, This is what I started with on recommendation from someone else...

=VLOOKUP(G6,D6:E100,2,FALSE) Obviously G6 is the criteria I want to match, and D6 is what I want to match it too, and E100 assigns the point value in the E column. Problem was, if the right team wasn't selected, i wasn't getting a ZERO in the formula, I was getting ##'s. Now, I need to use the =IF statement a hundred times or so on the same page but changing the cells in every one of them. Its going to take hours to set up. There has to be a shortcut for this..LOL..

Also, I'm going to have to duplicate this formula on a second(and possibly a third) sheet in the workbook and have it reference back to the COLUMNS D and E on the first sheet. I don't know how to do that either..lol...HELP!!!!

MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    I don't know if your serious or not because of the you keep going
    lol

Do you still need help???
    Last edited by davesexcel; 05-20-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davesexcel
    I don't know if your serious or not because of the you keep going
    lol

Do you still need help???
    YES, I will always need help with excel...LOL.... I am forever excel challenged...lol

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Hi,

re duplication of the vlookup formula:
    DaddyLongLegs' suggestion of using dollar signs seems to be what you need. Using dollar signs makes a reference "absolute" rather than "relative" ie it doesn't change - check out Excel Help for more detail [F1].

To overcome the "#N/A" problem after widening column H and half the number of times a vlookup is performed since you have more spreadsheets to copy your formula into I would change DaddyLongLegs sugestion of (as per your layout):
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE))
    from above by inserting another column before column H entering
    =VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)
    into the new column H (this can column can be hidden later). Then enter
    =IF(ISNA(H6),0,H6)
    into the "Pts" column (ie the old column H, now column I).

"There has to be a shortcut for this..."
    Yes, there is, repeat the column insertion to the left of each set of lookups.
    With the references for the lookup range now being "locked" to columns D & E, you should be able to select the 2 cells H6 & I6, copy them, paste them down the rows needed & the same in the new columns across the page.
    Now the new columns can be hidden.

hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

Quote Originally Posted by broro183
    Hi,

re duplication of the vlookup formula:
    DaddyLongLegs' suggestion of using dollar signs seems to be what you need. Using dollar signs makes a reference "absolute" rather than "relative" ie it doesn't change - check out Excel Help for more detail [F1].

To overcome the "#N/A" problem after widening column H and half the number of times a vlookup is performed since you have more spreadsheets to copy your formula into I would change DaddyLongLegs sugestion of (as per your layout):
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE))
    from above by inserting another column before column H entering
    into the new column H (this can column can be hidden later). Then enter
    =IF(ISNA(H6),0,H6)
    into the "Pts" column (ie the old column H, now column I).

"There has to be a shortcut for this..."
    Yes, there is, repeat the column insertion to the left of each set of lookups.
    With the references for the lookup range now being "locked" to columns D & E, you should be able to select the 2 cells H6 & I6, copy them, paste them down the rows needed & the same in the new columns across the page.
    Now the new columns can be hidden.

hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Thanks for the response. This has helped but has lead to other questions..lol.

This formula that you gave me: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)),0,VLOOKU P(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)) Where do I insert this? based on my spreadsheet?? I have added the new column H, but i find when using the above formula it works in some cells but not in others. I can change the first and last G cell to match where i want it to pull but i don't always get the points value that is assigned to the referencing pts. column. I will get ZERO regardless of who i put in the field. Any suggestions...It seems to work on its own, but not in every cell....very strange...

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Sorry, I didn't word my response very well - I didn't mean for the first formula to be used at all...
    Now that you have a new column H & the "pts" column is column I, try typing,
    In H6 (this column can be hidden later):
    and in I6:
    =IF(ISNA(H6),0,H6)

Select cells H6 & I6, [ctrl + c], select as many rows down as you need (in these columns) & press [ctrl + v].
    Does this give the results you want in column I?

Re the vlookup working in some cells but not others is strange & may be due to a quite a number of things - it's hard to know without the spreadsheet. Reasons include cells being formatted differently (eg as text), spelling errors (eg extra spaces - do a visual check) or non-printing characters etc. To overcome any cell formatting problems try selecting your data (not the headers) & clearing the formats (ie [alt + e + a + f]).

If this doesn't work, the quickest (since it is only a small spreadsheet) fix may be to copy the appropriate team in column D (ie [ctrl + c]) & paste it over the top of the "matching" cell in column G (ie [ctrl + v]). This way we can be certain that exactly the same thing is in both cells & the lookup should/will work.

If you keep having problems can you please attach another screendump of your spreadsheet showing the formulae & we may be able to track the problem. To do this:
    show the formulae press [ctrl + `] (the symbol is at the top left of my keyboard, by the # 1), select all [ctrl + a], autofit columns [alt + o + c + a], and post your screen dump.

hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ

Quote Originally Posted by AlienBeans
    Thanks for the response. This has helped but has lead to other questions..lol.

This formula that you gave me: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)),0,VLOOKU P(G6,$D$6:$E$100,2,FALSE)) Where do I insert this? based on my spreadsheet?? I have added the new column H, but i find when using the above formula it works in some cells but not in others. I can change the first and last G cell to match where i want it to pull but i don't always get the points value that is assigned to the referencing pts. column. I will get ZERO regardless of who i put in the field. Any suggestions...It seems to work on its own, but not in every cell....very strange...

Hey...it seemed to have given me what i want in column I, but the file is too large to upload here... Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it to you. Interestingly enough though, I had to change the vlookup portion from $D$6 to $D$2 to encompass the entire column(to include the selections above H6... It worked very well, except something i find interesting. On cells H9, H11, and H14 it doesn't show the point total, but on all other H cells that I applied this formula too, it shows the point totals, just like it shows them in Column I. You have been very helpfull with me on this, and I really appreciate it. Send me your email in a PM and i'll forward it to you..Thanks again.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Hi,
    I didn't actually answer your question (in pm/email) re the fact that it "doesn't show the point total in H9" etc, this is b/c the team being looked up didn't actually win & isn't in the column therefore the formulae return "#N/A".
    Column H is just an intermediary column & can be hidden, as the points for each team are now to be added up in column I (& the similar columns for each team across the sheet).

hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information