Excel Startup

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Exclamation Excel Startup

    my friend has windows 98 and office 2000 and when he starts excel he is able to click enable macros then the computer will stall about 30 - 40 mins depending on file size (average 800KB) and then it will finally open. i had a look at it today and tried a few things - e.g reinstalled windows (no deal) - resintalled office (no deal). disabling the anti-virus (no deal) uninstalling the antivirus (no deal) checking security settings for macros and when the workbook is "loading" i notice that when i hit ctrl+alt+delete then program says not responding ? i jumped onto the web and checked a few search sites and google. finally made some progress in finding out there is a patch that i proceded to download and the service pack (made sure everything is up to date ) and still the excel workbook takes so long to open. however smaller excel workbooks load normally and its not just the one file it is many files i even created a "dummy" file just making it 800KB by entering fake data and the same problem. my question to you is how/why does this happen ? and also how do i fix this ?

    I tried this with no luck !

    Look for 'Tools/Options/General/At startup open all files in:'

    I had this problem once, hope it help.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Excel Startup

    Maybe try deleting all files from the XLStart directory and disabling all
    Add-ins.........if it clears the trouble, then add them back one at a time
    to see when the trouble re-occurs........

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABG3

    news:[email protected]...