Function: cell contents formula or value?

  1. #1
    J.Smith
    Guest

    Function: cell contents formula or value?

    Hi,
    It seems like a trivial thing, but I seem to be unable to locate a worksheet
    function that allows me to determine, if a given cell contents is a formula
    or a value.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    You can use a custom function like:
    Function IsFormula(rng1 As Range) As Boolean
    IsFormula = rng1.HasFormula
    End Function

    Also, you can see it directly on the screen using CTRL+~

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    Max

    J.Smith wrote:
    > It seems like a trivial thing, but I seem to be unable to locate a worksheet
    > function that allows me to determine, if a given cell contents is a formula
    > or a value.

    Try the F5* > Special route (options are available there)
    *or click Edit > Go to.. , or Press Ctrl+G

    Press F5 > Special > Check "Formulas" > OK
    will select all formula cells on the sheet at one go
    Then we could apply Format > Cells > Font tab (to taste)

    Similarly, we could also select the constants:
    Press F5 > Special > Check "Constants" > OK
    then apply format to taste, etc ...

    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    Waikato, New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Posts
    2,243
    Hi,

    Another option that you may be interested in is colouring cell contents based on what sort of info they contain eg formula, constant, inputs etc. If so, check out Aaron's colour code macro:
    http://www.xl-logic.com/xl_files/vba/color_code.zip
    which is listed on his page:
    http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/vba.html

    hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

  5. #5
    J.Smith
    Guest

    Re: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    > Another option that you may be interested in is colouring cell contents
    > based on what sort of info they contain eg formula, constant, inputs
    > etc. If so, check out Aaron's colour code macro:
    > http://www.xl-logic.com/xl_files/vba/color_code.zip
    > which is listed on his page:
    > http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/vba.html
    >
    > hth
    > Rob Brockett
    > NZ

    Thanks, Rob! This is exactly the purpose I need it for. I want to use a
    formula which detects if a formula is used in a current cell, in order to
    apply conditional formatting, so those cells with formula would show up
    differently (and the user would have a choice to either overwrite them with
    values, or leave them with calculated defaults).

    Thank you for your reply!

  6. #6
    J.Smith
    Guest

    Re: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    > You can use a custom function like:
    > Function IsFormula(rng1 As Range) As Boolean
    > IsFormula = rng1.HasFormula
    > End Function
    >
    > Also, you can see it directly on the screen using CTRL+~
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Miguel.

    Thank you, Miguel! I was hoping, there would be a spreadsheet function, but
    looks like there is none. If that's the case, then, of course, a VB function
    is the last resort.

    Thanks, again, for your reply.

  7. #7
    J.Smith
    Guest

    Re: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    Thanks, Max, but I was looking for a worksheet function which does that.
    Thanks for replying, anyway!

  8. #8
    Max

    J.Smith wrote:
    > Thanks, Max, but I was looking for a worksheet function which does that.
    > Thanks for replying, anyway!

    No prob, was just venturing a guess as to your underlying intent.
    Thanks for the feedback ..

  9. #9
    Forum Expert
    Waikato, New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Posts
    2,243
    Hi
    Thanks for the feedback, pleased I could help.
    I hope it works as you want/expect it to - from memory, it permanently overwrites the other formatting that you have on your sheets.

  10. #10
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    J.Smith wrote...
    >It seems like a trivial thing, but I seem to be unable to locate a worksheet
    >function that allows me to determine, if a given cell contents is a formula
    >or a value.

    No built-in function to do this. You could use VBA to write a
    user-defined function. UDFs need to go into general VBA modules, not
    class modules.

    Function isformula(r As Range) As Boolean
    isformula = r.Cells(1).HasFormula
    End Function

  11. #11
    J.Smith
    Guest

    Re: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    > Another option that you may be interested in is colouring cell contents
    > based on what sort of info they contain eg formula, constant, inputs
    > etc. If so, check out Aaron's colour code macro:
    > http://www.xl-logic.com/xl_files/vba/color_code.zip
    > which is listed on his page:
    > http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/vba.html

    This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to accomplish (cell
    coloring).
    Thanks a lot!

    P.S. I posted a reply a long time ago, but it never showed on this NG.
    Strange!
    This is a second try.

  12. #12
    J.Smith
    Guest

    Re: Function: cell contents formula or value?

    Thank you, Miguel!
    I was hoping for a worksheet function, but looks like there really isn't
    any.
    In this case, a VB function should do. Thanks, again!

    (I posted my thanks awhile ago, but for some reason I can't see it in this
    NG. Weird!)