Formatting

  1. #1
    nick
    Guest

    Formatting

    im comparing dates from two workbooks. In workbook 1, i converted YYYYMMDD
    format to MM/DD/YYYY to compare it with a date in workbook 2. I put an if
    statement saying if(wk1a1=wk2a1,"Pass","fail")...but somehow im getting a
    fail...even tho the dates in both workbooks looks the same and in the same
    format. can someone help me in this? thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Question: Are cells A1 in both sheets truly dates? Remember that Excel stores dates as a number (e.g. May 19, 2006 = 38856). To check, change the format of each cell to General and see if you get a number similar to my example. If not, then you don't have true dates in each cell (maybe one is a text entry?).

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    nick
    Guest

    Re: Formatting

    Hi...i appreciate your concern! Im getting a number when i change the format
    to general. so i assume they are true dates. could you tell me what should i
    do in both the scenarios? thanks

  4. #4
    Abode
    Guest

    RE: Formatting

    Is that the exact formula and are wk1a1 and wk2a1 labels or named ranges. If
    not you may be pointing to no or a wrong location. Maybe try putting =wk1a1
    and =wk2a1 in two empty cells to check what value they are getting. Also you
    can always use Tools > Formula Auditing > Evaluate Formula to see exactly
    what the computer is seeing and doing. Hopefully that helps out.

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Formatting

    Try something like this:

    =IF(TEXT(wk1!A1,"yymmdd")=TEXT(wk2!A1,"yymmdd"),"Pass","Fail")

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...