Why can't I edit my comments in Excel?

  1. #1
    tfletch
    Guest

    Why can't I edit my comments in Excel?

    I'm using Excel 2002 on XP, have been for a couple years and all of a sudden
    I cannot edit my comments anymore. I tried right clicking and the toolbar but
    I can no longer edit them. Strangely enough this happens with only one
    worksheet. I tried copying it, but still the same result. If I add new
    comments, I can edit those, just my existing ones I can't edit. Any
    suggestions?

    Thank you in advance
    Todd

  2. #2
    Richard
    Guest

    RE: Why can't I edit my comments in Excel?

    Is your worksheet protected?

    Do you have multiple worksheets grouped?
    --
    Richard

  3. #3
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,482
    what happens when you right click the the cell, all you say is that you can't edit them, what appears,
    First thing I thought of was well ... did you use data validation and not the cell comments for some of those cells??,
    Of course I can't tell because all you said was that you couldn't edit them...

  4. #4
    tfletch
    Guest

    RE: Why can't I edit my comments in Excel?

    Richard : I don't have my worksheet protected or grouped
    davesexcel : I get all my normal options when I right click, and when I
    click on edit nothing at all happens. I did definitely use the insert comment
    when they were created.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Why can't I edit my comments in Excel?

    If the workbook is shared, you won't be able to edit existing comments.
    To turn off sharing, choose Tools>Share Workbook
    On the Editing tab, remove the check mark from 'Allow changes by more
    than one user at a time.'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures