Excel - convert row address listing to columnar database

  1. #1
    Thumbpick
    Guest

    Excel - convert row address listing to columnar database

    I have a mailing list of addresses in rows (mostly 3 rows), e.g.,
    Mr. & Mrs. Anthony Strebek
    8205 Dorset Lane
    Springfield, MO 33345-1234

    But some are 4 rows:
    Mr. & Mrs. Albert Stratton
    7789 Quonset Drive
    Apt. 203
    Portland, ME 22152

    I want to convert it to a database, e.g.,
    Streber,Anthony,8205,Dorset,Lane,Springfield,MO,33345

    Is there a macro or formula to make this easier than retyping everything?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Excel - convert row address listing to columnar database

    You want every space and "end-of-line" replaced with a comma?

    Tom Ogivy

  3. #3

    Address conversion

    No…. sorry, poor example on my part. What I really need to do is convert a row format addr listing to a flat file, parsed addr listing (i.e., one row); e.g.,

    From:
    A1 John Doe
    A2 Blast, Inc.
    A3 123 maple Ave
    A4 Philadelphia, PA 19026-2234

    A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 H1 I1
    Doe John Blast Inc 123 Maple Ave Philadelphia PA 19024-2234

    As I said, some are 3 line, some are 4. Also, I’ve inherited a poorly designed addr listing… sometimes the 2nd row is an addr, sometimes the company name(in which case the st addr is 3rd line). However, none is more that 4 rows. Each record is separated by a blank row.
    Last edited by elgeejay; 05-20-2006 at 04:17 PM.