Excel same Formula in different columns-calculate columnwise?

  1. #1
    Kazuki
    Guest

    Excel same Formula in different columns-calculate columnwise?

    I have an excel sheet, which collects a particular data for different people
    and different fields.
    It essentially looks like this:
    Fields A B C D
    aa 1 3 1 2
    ab 2 1 1 2
    ca 1 2 1 1
    dd 1 2 2 2
    rd 3 3 1 2
    fg 3 4 1 1
    ef 4 2 2 3
    tf 1 2 2 1
    tt 1 2 1 2
    sd 2 1 2 2
    ss 2 1 2 2
    df 1 1 2 2
    where the letters in the forst column specify names of persons and A, B, C,
    D... specify the field in which the persons have scored the levels(1, 2, 3, 4)

    In this sheet, I have 4 more rows at the bottom like this:
    Level 1 6
    Level 2 3 6
    Level 3 2 2
    Level 4 1 0

    6 in the first row is the number of "Level1"s in A, 3 the no of "level 2"s
    in A.
    0 at the last is the number of "level 4" in D. and so on....

    The question is: I have hundreds of numbers like this in the same sheet. for
    all the columns, I cannot go on saying =COUNTIF(B2:B13,1) to find the number
    of 1's in field B!
    Is there some way to give the formula so that, it calculated the similar
    data range in every column and puts the amount in the specified cell?

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Excel same Formula in different columns-calculate columnwise?

    Hi
    You should be able to drag the formula across once it's right. It will
    automatically increase the column reference for you. To drag the formula
    across, use the little + sign in the bottom right-hand corner.

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    I have answered this on the other post. It it bad practice to post things twice, as it wastes your time (you have to look in 2 places for your answers), wastes our time reading unnecessary posts and stops us reading potentially useful contributions from other contributors. This means that you may be prevented from getting the best answer

    Regards

    Dav

  4. #4
    Kazuki
    Guest

    Re: Excel same Formula in different columns-calculate columnwise?

    Thanks Dav, I am new to this forum and thought I'll get a prompt reply by
    posting in 2 places, getting noticed by different users. I was in a hurry.
    I would follow that here after!

  5. #5
    Kazuki
    Guest

    Re: Excel same Formula in different columns-calculate columnwise?

    Thanks Andy, it helps. and it's very easy too.