+ Reply to Thread

VLookup query

Forum Contributor

VLookup query

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that uses qute a few VLOOKUP functions to find values and this works great for my needs so far.

However, I have now realised that at certain times I am going to have to add extra details to the main table this looks up from (It uses names in the main database as the sort criteria that are taken from a different database.)

This will mean that as the database is updated that the VLOOKUP will change the name of the resulting lookup - as extra names will have been added into the database and will change the order of the names. (e.g. if the VLOOKUP originally posted the name SMITH, but because ten extra names have been added above this in the main database this might now display JONES instead)

Is there a way that i can force the lookup values to remain constant once they have been inputted and not alter when the database is updated?

Hope my ramblings all make sense about what I am trying to do!!

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Carl

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    you can select the cells with the formula in and copy them on top of themselves with paste special values. This will stop them updating. I am not entirely clear why the loookups will fail, as you have not given an example of the formulas you are using. Also if the False parameter was used in your lookup (if exact matches are being made) would this overcome your problem

If you give specific examples you may get a better answer

Regards

Dav

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information