Numbers to dates

  1. #1

    Numbers to dates

    Hi,

    I am new to all this excel help forum.
    Can you help me i have a column that is formatted as numbers but is actually dates so 1st Jauary 2006 is stored as 112006, and the 24th April 2004 is stored as 2442004 so if i sort on this column the 1st January 2006 comes first but in reality the 24th Spril 2004 comes first.

    How do i get excel to store it as a date in the formatdd/mm/yyyy.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Tom
    Guest

    RE: Numbers to dates

    Hi Stevie,
    You can change the format of cells by selecting FORMAT > CELLS, then click
    on DATE and select whatever format you would like them to have.

    Regards,
    Tom

  3. #3

    Thanks

    Yeah i have tried that put it puts the year format into a serial number like 3456 or something so i must need a formula to do something lik this.

    Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Numbers to dates

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 04:01:42 -0500, steviec334567
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am new to all this excel help forum.
    >Can you help me i have a column that is formatted as numbers but is
    >actually dates so 1st Jauary 2006 is stored as 112006, and the 24th
    >April 2004 is stored as 2442004 so if i sort on this column the 1st
    >January 2006 comes first but in reality the 24th Spril 2004 comes
    >first.
    >
    >How do i get excel to store it as a date in the formatdd/mm/yyyy.
    >
    >Please help

    In order to reliably accomplish this, an unambiguous method of date
    representation is required.

    If I understand what you have written, your date representation is a string of
    digits in the form dmy (without leading 0's at the d or m position)

    That being the case,

    1122004 could be either 11 Feb 2004 or 1 Dec 2004.

    And there are many other ambiguous date representations in your system.

    You will need to resolve the ambiguities before an appropriate solution can be
    offered.

    For example, a format of ddmmyyyy would be unambiguous.
    11022004 --> 11 Feb 2004
    01122004 --> 1 Dec 2004

    and could be converted using the formula:

    =DATE(MOD(A1,10^4),MOD(INT(A1/10^4),100),INT(A1/10^6))

    --ron

  5. #5

    Re: Numbers to dates

    Tom, I think you've missed the actual question here, which is that the
    dates are entered incorrectly onto the sheet - you could use a macro or
    formulas to get the relevent parts of the date and convert them INTO a
    date - do this with formulas in a blank column, then copy the values
    over the originals - if not clear, you can get me at
    [email protected]

  6. #6

    Re: Numbers to dates

    I've seen the data, it's has no leading zeros, so we have 112005 for
    January 1st 2005 and 1112005 COULD be 11 January or 1 November!!!

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Numbers to dates

    On 25 May 2006 06:48:20 -0700, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've seen the data, it's has no leading zeros, so we have 112005 for
    >January 1st 2005 and 1112005 COULD be 11 January or 1 November!!!

    Well, stevie is going to have to decide what to do with the ambiguities.
    --ron