Another simple formula needed

  1. #1
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Another simple formula needed

    In A3 there's a date, in date format: May-24-06. In B3 I would like a
    formula that would insert MAY, picking up the month from A3. If the date in
    A3 is Apr-18-06, then I would like B3 to yield APR, and so on. Connie

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Another simple formula needed

    in B3

    =A3

    & use a custom format of MMM

  3. #3
    You Can use also choose function and nest it with month
    eg if your date is in A1, the the formulae will be

    =Choose(month(a1),"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","June","July","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec")

  4. #4
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Re: Another simple formula needed

    This works. Thank you very much. Connie

  5. #5
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    RE: Another simple formula needed

    This is a much simpler way of doing it than William Okumu's formula, however,
    his works better. The reason is, even though I formatted the column to MMM
    for the month, it insists on putting the date as May instead of MAY. I
    changed William's formula to include 3-letter capitalized months and it works
    that way. Connie

  6. #6
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Re: Another simple formula needed

    William, it would be helpful that when you respond to a question that the
    question itself appear in your post because I print my answers that work to
    keep for future reference, and when I look at yours some day I will wonder
    "what was the question????" Connie

  7. #7
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Another simple formula needed

    =UPPER(TEXT(A3,"MMM")) will put text in upper case