Data validation using multiple ranges

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Data validation using multiple ranges

    I'm currently checking for duplicate entries in a sheet by using data validation - =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)), so that if a duplicate is entered, it brings up an error message.

    What I want to do is extend this to include other ranges i.e. =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1 RANGE2 RANGE3 etc,1,FALSE))

    Is this possible? And if so, how? I've tried commas, semicolons, colons, but nothing seems to work.

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: Data validation using multiple ranges

    madbloke wrote:
    > I'm currently checking for duplicate entries in a sheet by using data
    > validation - =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)), so that if a
    > duplicate is entered, it brings up an error message.
    >
    > What I want to do is extend this to include other ranges i.e.
    > =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1 RANGE2 RANGE3 etc,1,FALSE))
    >
    > Is this possible? And if so, how? I've tried commas, semicolons,
    > colons, but nothing seems to work.

    =OR(ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)), ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE2,1,FALSE)),
    ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE3,1,FALSE)))

  3. #3
    DarkByte
    Guest

    Re: Data validation using multiple ranges

    I'm assuming you'd want to use =AND(..) instead of =OR(...) as Paul suggested.

  4. #4
    Paul Lautman

    DarkByte wrote:
    > I'm assuming you'd want to use =AND(..) instead of =OR(...) as Paul
    > suggested.
    >
    > "Paul Lautman" wrote:
    >
    >> madbloke wrote:
    >>> I'm currently checking for duplicate entries in a sheet by using
    >>> data validation - =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)), so that if a
    >>> duplicate is entered, it brings up an error message.
    >>>
    >>> What I want to do is extend this to include other ranges i.e.
    >>> =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1 RANGE2 RANGE3 etc,1,FALSE))
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible? And if so, how? I've tried commas, semicolons,
    >>> colons, but nothing seems to work.

    >> =OR(ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)),
    >> ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE2,1,FALSE)),
    >> ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE3,1,FALSE)))

    Oops!

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lautman
    DarkByte wrote:
    > I'm assuming you'd want to use =AND(..) instead of =OR(...) as Paul
    > suggested.
    >
    > "Paul Lautman" wrote:
    >
    >> madbloke wrote:
    >>> I'm currently checking for duplicate entries in a sheet by using
    >>> data validation - =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)), so that if a
    >>> duplicate is entered, it brings up an error message.
    >>>
    >>> What I want to do is extend this to include other ranges i.e.
    >>> =ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1 RANGE2 RANGE3 etc,1,FALSE))
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible? And if so, how? I've tried commas, semicolons,
    >>> colons, but nothing seems to work.

    >> =OR(ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE1,1,FALSE)),
    >> ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE2,1,FALSE)),
    >> ISNA(VLOOKUP($C53,RANGE3,1,FALSE)))