How can I get excel to autofill the next column?

  1. #1

    Post How can I get excel to autofill the next column?

    Hi there...I wonder how can I get excel to autofill the next column if....my sheet is like below...

    employee ID employee name employee dept.
    00001 john doe training
    00002 funny gal engineering

    etc etc

    can my worksheet get the data from elsewhere and i just need to type in the employee ID number and the rest will be filled in from the linking excel sheets or workbook? Is this possibble...thanks..

    Jayman

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How can I get excel to autofill the next column?

    See the VLOOKUP function.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Jayman

    Try this:

    Build your lookup table just the way you posted your example.

    Assuming that table is located on a sheet named LISTS in A1:C100, with column titles in Row_1 (Employee_ID, Employee_Name, etc)

    Then....on another sheet....where
    A1: Emp_Id
    A2: (an Employee_ID)
    B1: Name
    B2: =VLOOKUP(A1,'LISTS'!$A:$C,2,0)
    C1: Dept
    C2: =VLOOKUP(A1,'LISTS'!$A:$C,3,0)

    (Note: instead of typing the table location, you can just use the mouse to switch sheets and select it. Excel will build the reference for you)

    Copy the formulas in A2:C2 down as far as you need.

    Does that help?
    ---------
    Regards,
    Ron