Counting only if multiple cells match up

  1. #1
    Eric
    Guest

    Counting only if multiple cells match up

    I work with maintenance in the military and I am trying to setup an easier
    way to keep a running total for broken vehicles. I am trying to setup my
    worksheet to where it will count the number of times multiple cells in a row
    match up. For example

    SHEET 1:

    A B C
    1 VEH STATUS COMPANY
    2 M1 X ALPHA
    3 M1 X HHB
    4 M109 X ALPHA

    SHEET 2
    A B C D E
    1 HHB ALPHA
    2 OH FMC OH FMC
    3 M1 5 4 5 4
    4 M109 8 8 8 7

    The formual needs to happen in 'sheet 2'!C3:D3 and 'sheet 2'!C3:D3.
    I'm new to the If, and Count Formulas and I'm having trouble getting this
    one to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Eric

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    Not easy to see what you want from the explanation!

    But...

    You probably want to use a Pivot Table. If you've never used them, try something like

    http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...ivottables.htm for an explanation.

    What makes your situation different, is that you need to create a composite key for each entry. Can I suggest creating a new column eg A1 = B1&C1&D1 etc.
    Martin Short

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Counting only if multiple cells match up

    You probably need a sumproduct formula. here is an excellent resource.

    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson