Sorting Data

  1. #1
    Bedfordshire

    Sorting Data

    Does anyone know how to Look throught a list of cells with specific data in them, and then pick the first entry of a selected item name and then get more data from that selection. Then look for the 2nd entry and do the same until there are no more entries.

    Example:-

    "Home Name" "Home Score" "Away Score" "Away Team"
    England 3 1 Sweeden
    Germany 0 9 Iran
    Italy 4 4 Spain
    Holland 0 0 Argentina
    Germany 2 20 England

    What i want is to pick all of England Games's as you enter them down a long list. The Data i would need to extract would be "Home Name" "Home Score" "Away Score" "Away Team" and then list then in the order they appear in the list. Then do the same for all other teams. Into a list like below

    **England**
    "Home Name" "Home Score" "Away Score" "Away Team"
    England 3 1 Sweeden
    Germany 2 20 England

    **Germany**

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Data

    why do not use a Pivot table? and why Brazil is out of your list ?

    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    Try the attached - you can see the macro code with ALT-F11.

    Enter the results and hit the update button. It works by creating a unique array of team names and then interogating the list for occurences in either the home or away columns

    I hope that your prediction for the England - Germany match comes true...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Martin

  4. #4
    Bedfordshire

    Smile Thanks

    Martin,

    Thanks thats great, I was trying everything with just cell coding but dont think it's possible. Your way is great!

    Dave

  5. #5
    Bedfordshire
    Quick Question,

    How can i get it so the results apear in different Collums instead or Rows? With 3 Collums in between. Also how can i get this to start from row 3 not 2 and Colum B not A. Sorry to be a pain

    Dave