Is there a way to find a value in a set of cells?

  1. #1

    Question Is there a way to find a value in a set of cells?

    I am trying to find at least one occurence of a specific value in a set of cells that are going to be scattered in a spreadsheet. Here is a pseudocode example what I am trying to do:

    If any value in
    {a2, a15, b2, b22, c5, c7, c9, d45, d55, e1, e17}
    = 1
    Then perform this action
    Else perform this action

    The value could appear more than once, and I am testing for only one occurence.

    Here is what I did that doesn't work:
    Create a defined name, Range1, of the cells above.
    Run this formula:
    IF(COUNTIF(Range1,1)>0,1,0)

    The COUNTIF will not work with this kind of defined name where the cells are scattered and not in a column or row.

    Can someone help?

    Thanks,

    Neal

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to find a value in a set of cells?

    Hi!

    Try something like this:

    SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT({"A2","A15","B2","B22"}),1))

    Include ALL your cell references inside the Indirect array.

    Then wrap that inside an IF:

    =IF(SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT({"A2","A15","B2","B22"}),1))>0,Do_This,Do_That)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Thanks!

    This looks exactly what I need. Thanks for you help!

    Neal

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to find a value in a set of cells?

    You're welcome!

    Biff

    "nealgseattle" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...