Lookup multiple workbooks

  1. #1

    Lookup multiple workbooks

    I need to lookup cells in multiple workbooks. Each workbook has a state
    abreviation at the end of the file name.

    I am trying to use:

    =HLOOKUP($A29,INDIRECT("C:\Data\Data
    Collection\Reimburse_Policy_Report_"&A29&".xls]Pharmacy'!$C$6:$D$23"),C$1,FALSE)

    A29 in the formula is the state abbreviation to be looked up in each file.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this the correct way?

    I am getting an error every time...! Please help!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Ohio, USA
    What error are you getting?

  3. #3
    DerekB
    Guest

    RE: Lookup multiple workbooks

    If you are getting a #REF! errror, it may just be that you have not opened
    the file(s) referred to in the formula. INDIRECT requires that the files be
    open.

    This requirement, in effect, means that you only really need to put the file
    name into the function although the full path could be needed if there is the
    chance having more than one file of the same name in different folders.

    I am assuming, by the way, that the formula as given in your mail has not
    been exactly reproduced. Otherwise, teh problem is that you have missed out
    the opening single quite mark before the drive name C: and the opening square
    bracket before the file name:

    --
    DerekB