Sales Taxes

  1. #1
    lsmft
    Guest

    Sales Taxes

    Started a new worksheet listing all purchased items by name in column A.
    Column B will list how much was spent for each item.
    Problem arises when some of the items are taxed at 2 %, some at 3 %, some at 4%, and some at 6 %.
    My question:
    Is there a way to denote how much or what rate an item will be taxed at?
    For example:
    Row 10, colum B is a grocery food item, hence not state tax, just the local option taxes.
    Row 11, colum B is a cleaning supply item, and will be taxed at the state S/Tx rate.
    I would like to be able to program the whole row for whatever the tax rate would be. Can this be done?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    lsmft:

    You may want to consider using 2 lookup tables:
    ItemTable: for items and their tax type
    TypeTable: for assigning rates to each type.

    Example:

    ItemTable
    Item TaxType
    Apples Food
    Armchair Furniture
    Carrots Food
    Cherries Food
    Coat Clothing
    etc

    TypeTable
    Type Stax LocalTax NetRate
    Clothing 5% 1% 6%
    Food 0% 1% 1%
    Furniture 5% 2% 7%

    Then....on your input sheet...

    A2: (an item)
    B2: =VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(A2,ItemTable,2,0),TypeTable,4,0)
    That formula returns the approriate rate for the type of item in A2

    OR

    You could add a third column to the ItemTable that calculates the NetRate for the Type associated with each Item (using the same kind of VLOOKUP formula as in the example above.)

    In that case, the B2 formula would be:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,ItemTable,3,0)

    Is that something you can work with?

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    lsmft
    Guest
    LOL,
    Not sure yet. I'm still scratching my head on this one. I think I may have gone in over my head here. Thanks much though and I'll see if I can find how to use that.

  4. #4
    tim m
    Guest

    Re: Sales Taxes

    How you go about this would depend on how specific or generic you name the
    items. Do you just name a food item 'food' or would you put 'bread', 'peanut
    butter' etc? If you just give them generic names like 'food', 'cleaning' etc
    you could try somehting like this formula:

    =IF(A1="Food",0.02,(IF(A1="Cleaning",0.03,IF(A1="Books",0.04))))

    This will check the contents of A1 and put in a tax rate depending on what
    is entered in A1. You could then just copy this formula down the column.
    (You would also format this column as percentage.)