VLOOKUP, correct funtion?

  1. #1

    Question VLOOKUP, correct funtion?

    I'm suppose to use the VLookup to do the following: but can't figure out the correct way to put it in the dialog box.

    This is a student grading chart.
    B2 & C2 are exam grades (worth 25% of grade) D2 is the final grade (worth 50%) I need a function to get the overall score.

    =(B2*0.25)+(C2*0.25)+(D2*0.5) this works, but its not the way our instructor wants us to do it.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated........

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP, correct funtion?

    With the information that you have given, there is nothing to lookup. What
    is wrong with your method, or what other data do you have?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    VLOOKUP, correct function?

    Oops, my mistake....there is a table on the grading criteria page.
    Cells: A9 to B12
    Exam Type Weight
    Exam 1 25%
    Exam 2 25%
    Final 50%

    But I'm still confused about what goes where when using VLOOKUP

    btw..thanks for your quick response. I hope this additional info helps.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP, correct funtion?

    Assuming that B1 says Exam 1 (i.e the value to lookup), C1 says Exam 2, and
    D1 probably says Exam 3 (although the last defaults), you can use

    =(B2*VLOOKUP(B1,'Grading Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE))+
    (C2*VLOOKUP(C1,'Grading Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE))+
    (D2*(1-VLOOKUP(B1,'Grading Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE)-VLOOKUP(C1,'Grading
    Criteria'!A9:B12,2,FALSE)))

    Bob Phillips

    "dee student" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...