Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Will Excel "compare" two worksheets or files?

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    Will Excel "compare" two worksheets or files?

    I'm using MSExcel2003, SP2....

    I already read about the technique where you can put two MSExcel
    spreadsheets side-by-side and *visually* compare...which is a very "manual"
    technique, but...

    Will MSExcel "compare" two worksheets and highlight differences for the user
    (like you can do in MSWord...where the resulting output highlights
    differences in red...great to for comparing differences in different
    versions of some text document)?

    If not, is there a software app (preferably in WinXP) that would at least
    give a "yes" or "no" on whether two files are identical (duplicates?)

    Thanks,
    George

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    This isn't exactly what you are looking for but it might help.

    You could use the EXACT formula in a range of cells identical to those used in the two spreadsheets. Any occurences of false would indicate a difference.

    You could also try a macro which selected the set of occupied cells in one of the sheets and compared one by one to the other.
    Martin

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Will Excel "compare" two worksheets or files?

    George, take a look at Compare.xla, it is an add-in, written by Myrna
    Larson and Bill Manville, it will compare the contents of two worksheets or
    workbooks.
    You can download it at Chip Pearson's site here
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm about half way down the page

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Will Excel "compare" two worksheets or files?

    George,

    try the addin Synkronizer. It may be what you are looking for.
    30 days trial can be downloaded from www.synkronizer.com

    --
    keepITcool

    George wrote in <news:<[email protected]>

    > I'm using MSExcel2003, SP2....
    >
    > I already read about the technique where you can put two MSExcel
    > spreadsheets side-by-side and visually compare...which is a very
    > "manual" technique, but...
    >
    > Will MSExcel "compare" two worksheets and highlight differences for
    > the user (like you can do in MSWord...where the resulting output
    > highlights differences in red...great to for comparing differences in
    > different versions of some text document)?
    >
    > If not, is there a software app (preferably in WinXP) that would at
    > least give a "yes" or "no" on whether two files are identical
    > (duplicates?)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > George

Closed Thread