How prompt Excel user to fill cell with text, i.e., proposal name

  1. #1
    Deb
    Guest

    How prompt Excel user to fill cell with text, i.e., proposal name

    Building a budget template for salespeople and want to prompt the user to
    enter the name of the customer in one cell and then the name of the proposal
    in the other cell. How do I set this up so that a message pops up and
    requires them to enter the information? (I've tried data validation, but it
    only works if you select the cell. I would like Excel to automatically
    prompt them to fill it in.)

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Put this in your ThisWorkbook inside VBA
    Change A1 and B1 to the cells you want to propulate

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

    Dim CustName As String
    Dim PropName As String

    CustName = InputBox("What is Customer's Name?", "Customer's Name")
    PropName = InputBox("What is the name of the Proposal?", "Proposal Name")

    Range("A1").Value = CustName
    Range("B1").Value = PropName

    End Sub

  3. #3
    Deb
    Guest

    Re: How prompt Excel user to fill cell with text, i.e., proposal n

    Well, I've stumbled my way through finding the ThisWorkbook and pasting your
    formula there. But now how do I get it to work? (Novice)

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    close your spreadsheet and open it =)

    If you need to change the way it works, tell me, I will change the code for you
    Google is your best friend!

  5. #5
    Deb
    Guest

    Re: How prompt Excel user to fill cell with text, i.e., proposal n

    Didn't work.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Can't attached the xls. if you want me to send you a sample file, give me your email address or send one to me at [email protected]
    Last edited by Bearacade; 06-05-2006 at 06:43 PM.