How To Remove all caps in column?

  1. #1

    How To Remove all caps in column?

    In My spread sheet I have a list of
    names but they are all in caps...

    That was great for an envelope but
    not so good when I am going to
    do a letter merge.

    How do you remove or format the
    names so they are not all caps?

    Can you do that?

    Obviously I would still need the first letter
    to be capitalized but not the whole name.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am stuck
    and do not want to type out every name ..

    I have excel 2002 and access 2002 and I cant seem
    to find out how to change this

    Sam

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How To Remove all caps in column?

    You could use a VBA macro like the following:

    Sub AAA()
    Dim Rng As Range
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each Rng In Range("A1:A100") '<<< CHANGE
    Rng.Value = StrConv(Rng.Text, vbProperCase)
    Next Rng
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
    www.cpearson.com

    "fastblogs"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: How To Remove all caps in column?

    Other way is described in
    http://www.mrexcel.com/td0109.html

    using the formula "proper"

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: How To Remove all caps in column?

    To accomplish what you want without a macro, do:

    1. Insert a new column
    2. Enter the formula =proper(a1) where a is your column of data
    3. Fill down the formula
    4. Copy the whole column
    5. Paste Special>Values
    6. Delete the original column

    Fred

  5. #5
    Hummm.. I follow the instructions but still cant
    get it to work right...

    My list is in A1 through A312

    So I moved my function column to C1 and hit Fx

    Then I enter in what they said =PROPER (A1)

    Then it says copy the forumla, Well it is not
    a forumula in C1, it is the name in the correct format,

    When I copy it to B1 to B312

    Alls I get is teh name in A1 for all...

    Sam

  6. #6
    Wahooooooooooooooo

    I got it, I tried to use the function fx but could
    not get it to work,

    so I went with option 2 and set up
    a macro from
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/proper.txt

    And WHAM-O

    It done did work there Jethro

    I highly recommend using the macro

    Phew...that was a tedious process figuring that
    out and getting it to work