Modify Excel Formula

  1. #1
    sharonm
    Guest

    Modify Excel Formula

    Hello,
    I was not sure which Excel Group this should be asked in, so sorry if this
    is the wrong one.

    If I have a column of values, how can I create a formula in each cell to be
    value * an absolute cell in the worksheet. For example I have:

    345
    367.45
    241.67

    I want to have:

    =345 * $x$2
    =367.45 * $x$2
    =241.67 * $x$2

    I want the formula in the cell when I am done which would refer to the same
    cell (x2) as opposed to having just a total number. And I was hoping I could
    do this without hitting F2 and editing each cell manually since my actual
    column is much larger.

    Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    hi,
    I think what you mean is you want to "do the math" in 1 cell and then apply the "math" in all the relevant cells.

    Step one.
    given your starting point is A1.

    Select cell B1, type "=A1*2", then hit Enter.
    You cell value changes.

    Step two.
    copy the formula
    Select cell B1 and move your cursor to the bottom right hand corner of the cell until the cursor changes to a black + sign.
    Depress the left mouse button and drag the selection down as far as you need to go... you will see a dark grey border as you drag the selection and this is how you know it copying down...
    When you reach the end of the range let go of the mouse button

    Done.

  3. #3

    Re: Modify Excel Formula

    Find an empty cell.
    Put =$x$2 in that cell
    Select that cell
    edit|copy

    Select the column of numbers
    Edit|paste special|check multiply

    Clean up that helper cell with =$x$2 in it.