Delete first few cell characters

  1. #1
    mohd21uk via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Delete first few cell characters

    I have values in a column where the cell values are like the following. I
    would like to delete the first few characters until a G is reached. For e.g.
    I would like :
    PRJ GB2-E0001
    ********WBS GB2-E0001
    to be converted to:
    GB2-E0001
    GB2-E0001

    I would be grateful if you could provide me the code to do just this.

    Many Thanks,

  2. #2
    You could use =RIGHT(A1,9), where A1 is the cell containing your original data. This will pick up the last 9 digits.........only works if your original text strings are identical in length though.

    HTH
    I don't pretend to know what i'm doing and i'm not about to start

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Delete first few cell characters

    Hi
    Try
    Assuming data is in column A
    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)
    Copy down as far as required.
    Copy block of results and Paste Special>Values to "fix" as opposed to
    leaving as formulae

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Re: Delete first few cell characters

    Data, text to column, delimited, space, finish should do the trick IF there
    is a space between ALL your values.
    To do this just highlight the column that contains your values then start at
    the menu called data then follow my instructions word for word in the first
    line above.

    HTH
    Gilles

  5. #5
    David Biddulph

    >I have values in a column where the cell values are like the following. I
    > would like to delete the first few characters until a G is reached. For
    > e.g.
    > I would like :
    > PRJ GB2-E0001
    > WBS GB2-E0001
    > to be converted to:
    > GB2-E0001
    > GB2-E0001
    >
    > I would be grateful if you could provide me the code to do just this.

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)+1-FIND("G",A1))
    --
    David Biddulph