VLookup Multiple Data Rows

  1. #1

    VLookup Multiple Data Rows

    Sheet A contains a large (16000 rows, 8 columns) array of data and Sheet B a single column which lists certain text values also found in column 1 of Sheet A. The values listed in Sheet B can appear multiple times in the array in Sheet A.

    I want to return from Sheet A the column 8 value (numeric) corresponding to each occurance of the Sheet B values in column 1 of Sheet A

    The limit of my knowledge in VLOOKUP, but that of course will only return one Sheet A value from each occurance of the values listed in Sheet B.

    I hope that makes sense, please can somebody help?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: VLookup Multiple Data Rows

    Let's assume that Sheet1!A2:H10 contains the source data, and
    Sheet2!A2:A5 contains the text values for which to search, try the
    following formula which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER,
    not just ENTER...

    Sheet2!B2, copied across and down:

    =IF(COLUMNS($B2:B2)<=COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,Sheet2!$A2),INDEX(Sheet1!$
    A$2:$H$10,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10=Sheet2!$A2,ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10)-RO
    W(Sheet1!$A$2)+1),COLUMNS($B2:B2)),8),"")

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,
    alexdwsn <[email protected]>

  3. #3

    return whole row?

    Thanks, that's very helpful and works well but I've now been asked to do something else with this data which means I now need to do the following and extract the whole row for matching records.

    I need to return the whole row from Sheet1!A2:N16428 based on Sheet1 column A values matching any of the values listed in Sheet2!A2:A2015. Sheet2!A2:A2015 contains values which may occur multiple times in Sheet1!A2:A16428 and I need to extract all rows which match

    Please help.

    Many thanks