What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

  1. #1
    bldurgin
    Guest

    What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

    I am unable to find in search of Help files or Reference online. Here's the
    fomula:
    =SUM($G$3*E14)

  2. #2
    RJ
    Guest

    RE: What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

    The dollar sign changes the cell reference from relative to absolute. When
    copying formulas containing cells references if you do not include the "$ the
    reference will change relative to where it is moved from. For example if you
    had the following formula in cell A5: =Sum(A1:A4) and you copied this formula
    to cell B5, the formula in B5 would read =Sum(B1:B4), it would have increased
    by one column since you are pasting one column over. This also holds true to
    rows. If you had included the "$" in the fomula, =Sum($A1,$A4) and copied it
    over you would have noticed it would not have changed and the formula in B1
    would show = Sum($A1:$A4).

  3. #3
    T Kirtley
    Guest

    RE: What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

    The $ sign has no impact of the results of a formula, it only impacts the way
    that the formula is copied to other cells. A $ sign indicates a fixed (as
    opposed to a relative) reference in the formula. When you copy a formula to
    another cell, the column or row reference will not change if there is a $
    sign preceding the row or column in the initial formula. .

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

    Absolute vs relative reference, if you type in absolute in help there should
    be an explanation

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by bldurgin
    I am unable to find in search of Help files or Reference online. Here's the
    fomula:
    =SUM($G$3*E14)
    $ anchors a reference cell to an absolute cell..

    for example, if B1's formula is =A1 and you fill drag it down to B2.
    B2's Formula becomes =A2.

    Your particular formula tells excel that G3 is an absolute reference and E14 is not. So if you fill drag this formula down. The cell below it will have this formula: =SUM($G$3*E15)

    I hope that helps, not very good at explaining =)

    Do a search on references and read up on the difference between relative and absolute references
    Google is your best friend!

  6. #6
    RJ
    Guest

    RE: What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

    If you want further explanations, Microsoft Excel's help file has a specifiec
    section devoted to the difference between relative and absolute references.

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: What does the $ mean when used in a formula please: $G or $3

    The $ sign is used to change cell references from "relative" to absolute". This
    fixes the reference so's it will not change as copied down or across.

    $A1 is absolute column and relative row.

    $A$1 is absolute column and row.

    A$1 is relative row and absolute column.

    Se help on relative and absolute cell references for more on this.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    bldurgin

    "bldurgin" wrote:

    > I am unable to find in search of Help files or Reference online. Here's the
    > fomula:
    > =SUM($G$3*E14)

    Thank you one and all for you quick and most helpful replies. I could get
    nothing when trying to search for the $ in help and it was getting a bit
    frustrating