Drop Down Lists

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Drop Down Lists

    Hi all,

    I have spreadsheet set up that uses several drop down boxes.

    Is there any way to get these to autocomplete - ie when I start typing letters into the drop down box it will fill in the rest of the possible name for me?

    Thanks for any advice

    Carl

  2. #2

    Re: Drop Down Lists

    You can do it if you used the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar.

    What did you use to create the dropdown boxes?

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson
    You can do it if you used the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar.

    What did you use to create the dropdown boxes?
    HI Dave,

    I used data validation to create the drop dow lists. Not too sure on how to use comboboxes to perform this function to be honest!!!

    Carl

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Lists

    Carl

    Debra Dalgleish has done most of the work for you.

    Visit her site for instructions on DV using Combo Box.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks for the link Gord - that seems to be what I am after and I'll have a good go at them!

    Can these drop down lists as combo boxes be used to create dependant lists as described in other parts of the article?

    Carl

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Lists

    The combobox shows what's in the data validation list for the selected
    cell. So, if you set up dependent data validation, it will be displayed
    in the combobox. There's an example here:

    Under data Validation, look for 'Dependent Data Validation Combobox'

    mr_teacher wrote:
    > Thanks for the link Gord - that seems to be what I am after and I'll
    > have a good go at them!
    >
    > Can these drop down lists as combo boxes be used to create dependant
    > lists as described in other parts of the article?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks a lot for that Debra - I'll give it a go!!

    Carl