how to log all files opened on my pc?

  1. #1

    how to log all files opened on my pc?

    I'm looking for a program or process by which all files of certain
    types (i.e. .xls, .doc, .ppt) will be written to a text log file on my
    pc.

    A log entry would be created each time I open a file.

    The log entry would list the name of the file, the path, the date, and
    time, and the file type.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: how to log all files opened on my pc?

    You would have to write an add-in for each office program, or a
    COM add-in that could be used by all Office programs. Neither is
    a trivial task.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: how to log all files opened on my pc?

    Thanks Chip - Seems like something the OS should do.

    Jgalt.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I'm looking for a program or process by which all files of certain
    types (i.e. .xls, .doc, .ppt) will be written to a text log file on my
    pc.

    A log entry would be created each time I open a file.

    The log entry would list the name of the file, the path, the date, and
    time, and the file type.
    I did this once, but I had to do it for every Office Application. I settled on Word and Excel, and simply wrote macros that replaced the Save and Save As commands, saving to a hidden logfile first before saving normally.

    I don't know if this could be done now.

    But why not use a keystroke logger instead, that captures everything that is typed on your PC?

    Try a free trial download from:

    http://smartkeystrokerecorder.com/

    Wibs

  5. #5
    Steve Yandl
    Guest

    Re: how to log all files opened on my pc?

    Jgalt,

    If you're running on WinXP, Win2k or beyond or even WinME, you can use WMI
    to monitor when a process is launched and then extract information like file
    name, path, date/time etc. The problem I've experienced when setting this
    up for Office applications is that the process name and command line
    information returned simply tells you that EXCEL.EXE or WINWORD.EXE was
    started. Then you have to launch a hidden instance of Word and use it's
    tasks collection to see which files were launched and I've discovered that
    technique to be somewhat unreliable depending on how users launch Excel
    files.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Saruman
    Guest

    Re: how to log all files opened on my pc?

    Why not use the Journal Feature in Outlook???

    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

    --
    Saruman

    All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Norton Antivirus 2003