Multi-line Formatting

  1. #1

    Multi-line Formatting

    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone knows how to format a cell for multiline values.

    E.g. i have a cell formated with "d/m/yyyy". But if i hit Alt+Enter to enter another line in the cell, can i format that text to "d/m/yyyy" as well? I know i can just type in the value correctly, but i would like to have it formatted.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: Multi-line Formatting

    gareth93 wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Just wondering if anyone knows how to format a cell for multiline
    > values.
    >
    > E.g. i have a cell formated with "d/m/yyyy". But if i hit Alt+Enter to
    > enter another line in the cell, can i format that text to "d/m/yyyy"
    > as well? I know i can just type in the value correctly, but i would
    > like to have it formatted.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use the TEXT() function

  3. #3

    Re: Multi-line Formatting

    Number formatting works with numbers (and dates/times are just numbers).

    As soon as you add the alt-enter, you've changed the value from a number to
    text.

    You could use Paul's suggestion by putting the date in a different cell (the row
    above and hide the row???)

    And use a formula like:

    =text(a1,"d/m/yyyy")&char(10)&"whateverelseyouwanthere"

    Make sure you have format|cells|alignment tab|wrap text checked.