Mask Drop Down List values

  1. #1

    Mask Drop Down List values

    Hi all,

    Just a quick question, is it possible to mask the values in a validation drop down list?

    I'm using the indirect function in many of my formulas and wish the user to select the appropriate cell reference from a drop down list.

    Thus A-Z is placed into formulas using INDIRECT however I would rather more descriptive values in my drop down.

    Is this possible?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Mask Drop Down List values

    Hi

    Create an additional sheet, p.e. MyList. On this sheet create a table like:
    Description, Char
    "First selection" "A"
    "Second selection" "B"
    "Last selection" "Z"

    Define named ranges
    DescrList=OFFSET(MyList!$A$1,1,,COUNTA(MyList!$A:$A)-1,1)
    MyList=OFFSET(MyList!$A$1,1,,COUNTA(MyList!$A:$A)-1,2)

    Use named range DescrList as source for your data validation list, i.e.
    =DescrList

    Create named values (I assume the dropdown is p.e. in cell Sheet1!B1)
    MySelection=Sheet1!$B$1
    MyChar=VLOOKUP(MySelection,MyList,2,0)

    Everywhere in your formulas you have to refer to MyChar.
    To avoid some confusion, it'll be best to hide the sheet MyList - no need
    for an user to see it.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...