Automatically number lines

  1. #1

    Question Automatically number lines

    There are many occasions when I would like to number the line items in the far left column of the spreadsheet I am working on, so that the numbers print (the spreadsheet is already numbered, but on the frame of the page, not in a column that will print).

    It would make sense to me that Excel has a feature that will automatically number your entries when you provide the cells and give the correct command. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Portugal
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise
    I'm not sure if i inderstood your idea, but look at the formula above, which i entered in cell A3:

    =IF(B3="","",ROW())

    If cell B3 is not empty, then the row number will appear in cell A3.

    Hope it helps

  3. #3
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Automatically number lines

    Hi, Aletoconstco,

    try the tips on this web page

    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip035.htm

    Hope this helps!
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  4. #4

    Thumbs up Thanks

    Thank you very much for the information! I found it.......