Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

  1. #1
    JohnH
    Guest

    Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function. I've formated 2
    columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general I'm entering
    dates
    A1: 1/1/2002
    B1: 1/1/2005

    I'm entering the formula in C1
    =datedif(b1,a1,"M")

    I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

    I get #NUM! for a result.

    Thanks
    John

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    The first date must be earlier than the second date. Try
    =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"m")

    See www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm for more information.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    From Chips' site http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

    =DATEDIF(Date1,Date2,Interval)

    Date1 must be less than (earlier) or equal to Date2. Otherwise, =DATEDIF
    will return a #NUM! error. If either Date1 or Date2 is not a date, =DATEDIF
    will return a #VALUE! error.

    By the way:
    You do not need to format cells before entering dates. Just type the data
    as, for example, 1/1/2002 and Excel recognizes a date.

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    a1,b1

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  5. #5
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    Hi John, datedif calculates de difference of the two dates, but the formula
    must be

    DATEDIF(INITIAL DATE,LAST DATE,TYPE OF DIF)

    Try to put Datedif(a1,ba,"m")

    hope this helps
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    Hi

    For case earlier/later dates aren't ordered column-wise
    =DATEDIF(MIN(A1,B1),MAX(A1,B1),"m")

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    JohnH
    Guest

    RE: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    Thanks All. Reversing the formual was the solution.

    Thanks Much!
    John

  8. #8
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    Try reversing the order of b1 and a1. In the test I tried, that's how I got
    rid of the #num error.
    Kevin Vaughn

  9. #9
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    That's weird. I could have sworn when I looked at this question, there were
    no replies. Then I replied and I see like 8 people have already answered.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  10. #10
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    It's the nature of the beast. You think you are the first reply and when you
    come back there are several ahead of you. I also wish there wasn't the
    delay. I think it has something to do with where you are but that's a guess.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

    BTW when I answered this there were NO other replies.

  12. #12
    San Diego
    Thanks for letting me know it's not just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Guillett