Date Question

  1. #1
    metaltecks
    Guest

    Date Question

    In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.

    I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month, day,
    and year.
    In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
    How do I do that without manually doing it?

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello metaltecks,

    Say your date 4/14/1998 is in cell A1, and you want the B1, C1, D1 to show the day, month and year then add these forumlae into the cells ...

    B1
    =Day(A1)

    C1
    =Month(A1)

    D1
    =Year(A1)

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    metaltecks
    Guest

    RE: Date Question

    Can these functions work if the format in column A1 is 04/04/05?

  4. #4
    metaltecks
    Guest

    RE: Date Question

    I tried using this function, but I keep on getting a wierd result.
    For example, if the date is 9/6/2005 in a1, in b1 I put =month(a1) and I get
    1/9/1900 as my answer.

    Am I doing something wrong?

  5. #5
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Date Question

    "metaltecks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "metaltecks" wrote:
    >
    >> In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.
    >>
    >> I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month,
    >> day,
    >> and year.
    >> In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
    >> How do I do that without manually doing it?

    > Can these functions work if the format in column A1 is 04/04/05?

    If you are referring the functions in Leith Ross's reply (though you seem to
    have replied to your own message rather than his), then yes, they'll work if
    your column is really a date.
    If your column is text, then you can split it with Data/ Text to Columns.
    --
    David Biddulph

  6. #6
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Date Question

    "metaltecks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "metaltecks" wrote:

    >> "metaltecks" wrote:
    >>
    >> > In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.
    >> >
    >> > I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month,
    >> > day,
    >> > and year.
    >> > In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
    >> > How do I do that without manually doing it?

    >> Can these functions work if the format in column A1 is 04/04/05?

    See the answer to your earlier message.

    >I tried using this function, but I keep on getting a wierd result.
    > For example, if the date is 9/6/2005 in a1, in b1 I put =month(a1) and I
    > get
    > 1/9/1900 as my answer.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong?

    Again I'm guessing that you may be thinking of the functions in Leith Ross's
    message, though you seem to have replied to your own message rather than
    his?

    Yes, you are doing something wrong, you're getting confused between dates
    and numbers. I would recommend that you look in Excel's help at what
    functions such as MONTH() are intended to do. MONTH takes as its input a
    date in Excel's date format, and its output is an integer from 1 to 12
    representing the month. Excel's help explains the format of the date-time
    code used by Excel for the input. You have produced 9 as the output for the
    month, but instead of treating it as a number you have formatted the cell as
    if it were a date, and the number 9 would represent the 9th of January 1900.
    If you format it as general, rather than as a date, then it will be shown as
    9.
    --
    David Biddulph