if again

  1. #1
    jam
    Guest

    if again

    Hi
    I want to do this:
    A B
    Pay to 23 people 2006 Salery
    Pay to 10 people 2006 Bonus
    I want the column B to have the same string "salery" every time I write
    pay to...
    in order to filter at the end and make a balance
    Using if, and nested if does not give the same string if I change the
    number 23 to 50 for example
    Any help? I would be grateful
    Jam

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi

    Not quite sure what you are after here.
    Do you want
    =IF(LEFT(A1,6)="Pay to","Salary","")
    or
    =IF((--(MID(A1,8,2))>=23,"Salary","Bonus")

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jam
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi Roger
    Thank you very much for your swift and usuful solution and reply, I
    used the left formula with if fuction. I have a problem, and it is
    always the same, when I nest if function, it always give error formula,
    no matter I check the brackets, and I just wrote exactly the formula of
    if function in the help menu (not copy, write), and check it still
    gives error, I have the impression that I am missing some information
    about this nested functions, thanks in advance for help
    Regards
    Jam

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi Jam

    Post back the formula you are actually using, and some ample data, then
    we may be able to help you resolve the problem.

  5. #5
    jam
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi Roger
    Thanks again, this is what I am trying to do
    Salery 23 persons 2006 =if(LEFT(A1;6)="Salery", "Salery",
    if(LEFT(A1;5)="Bank","Bank", if(LEFT(A1;9)="Insurance","Insurance",
    if(LEFT(A1;7)="Hospital","Hospital","Others"))))
    Bank 10 persons 2006
    Insurance 30 persons 2006
    Hospital 10 persons 2006
    Th etext in column A and the formulae is B
    Thank you for your help
    Regards
    Jam

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi Jam

    Rather than using the IF statements you could just use
    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

    It looks as though your regional settings are to use semicolon ";"
    instead of comma "'" in which case for you it would be
    =LEFT(A1;FIND(" ";A1)-1)

    This formula looks for the first space in column A and takes everything
    that occurs before it as the value in column B

  7. #7
    jam
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi Roger
    YOU ARE A GENIUS
    Thank you very very much for you permanent help
    The formula worked beautifuly, and I checked the regional settings, you
    are right
    Thank again and regards
    Jam

  8. #8
    jam
    Guest

    Re: if again

    Hi Roger
    Another problem thanks for giving always swift and valuable solutions
    A B
    5 IF(0<a2<=3;"Pass";IF(a2=0;"OK"; "No"))
    I want toa say Pass for the values 1 2 3
    and OK for 0
    And No for the values greater than 3
    It gives only OK and No
    Any help