Dragging VLOOKUP

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    Dragging VLOOKUP

    Hi all,

    I'm using a VLOOKUP formula (in Excel 2000) and need to drag the command across a range of columns. Weird thing is (and I'm sure it never used to do this), the column number - i.e. =VLOOKUP(whatever ,whatever, THIS NUMBER, false) doesn't change when I do the dragging. One would think that it would go up incrementally..

    Have I disabled some option, or is there a means of doing this?

    TIA,

    SamuelT

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Dragging VLOOKUP

    No it won't, if you want it to you need to refer to something that will also
    increment, such as COLUMN(A1)

    Bob Phillips

    "SamuelT" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Dragging VLOOKUP

    Hi

    The column return number does not increment - because it's part of a formula
    and does not relate to a cell, I guess. If you are dragging it across
    columns you could use the COLUMN() function to increment the number for you,
    eg.
    =VLOOKUP(A2,tabls,COLUMN()-2, FALSE)
    You will need to alter the -2 to the correct figure but it will increment
    when you drag it.

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

  4. #4
    Daniel CHEN
    Guest

    Re: Dragging VLOOKUP

    THIS NUMBER will not increase automatically because it is in the formula,
    not a direct input number.

    You can you function COLUMN to get the increment you want, like
    Assume you want this number to be 1, 2, 3,....
    The first column you have the vlookup formula is D (column 4)

    then use the following formula to replace this number:
    column()-3
    When you drag the formula, the column D, it is 1 (4-3) , column E it is 2
    (5-3), ....

    --
    Best regards,
    ---

  5. #5
    T Kirtley
    Guest

    RE: Dragging VLOOKUP

    No, to my knowledge VLOOKUP() has never incremented the column number
    reference automatically. If you want to build a formula that can use relative
    references when copied, try a combination of the INDEX() and MATCH()
    functions.

    Syntax is like: INDEX([range of data to return], MATCH([lookup value],
    [lookup range],0))

    HTH,

    TK

  6. #6
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Thanks all. Your suggestions have given me a good solution!

    SamuelT