=Now()

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    =Now()

    I have entered this formula into a cell formatted as General. It will not
    show the date/time. It is showing the text of the formula.

    Please help!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Is the cell formated to display text? or General?
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: =Now()

    Did you re-enter the formula after changing the format to General? Text
    values remain as text until re-entered even if the Cell Format changes.

    If that doesn't solve the problem, does the formula work in other cells on
    the same sheet? Do other formulas work in that cell?

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    Karen
    Guest

    RE: =Now()

    The cell was General when I entered the formula. The formula does NOT work
    in other cells on the worksheet.

  5. #5
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: =Now()

    Does the formula work in other workbooks?

    Do other formulas work in your workbook? Try =1+1. Does it display 2?
    What about the =TODAY() function? Does that work?

    If you press Ctrl+; does the current date appear?

    Are there any Macros or VB Code in your workbook? There may be some code
    preventing the formula from displaying?

    Check your AutoCorrect Options. Make sure that =now() didn't somehow end up
    on the "Replace text as you type" list.

    I'm running out of ideas here. Perhaps the answers to the above questions
    can point us in the right direction?

  6. #6
    CarlosAntenna
    Guest

    Re: =Now()

    Tools > Options > View tab > uncheck Formulas

    --
    Carlos

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Elkar
    Guest

    Re: =Now()

    Heh, far too easy. I should have thought of that. I bet that will be solve
    the problem.

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: =Now()

    Karen

    Two possibles here.

    1. View Formulas is enabled.

    Hit CTRL + `(above Tab key) to toggle off/on.

    2. The cell(s) was/were pre-formatted as Text.

    Changing to General is not enough. You must hit F2 then ENTER key.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP