Looking up values that are repeated in a column

  1. #1

    Looking up values that are repeated in a column

    I am trying lookup data in a table that is repeated numerous times in a column. I want to get the total for that data. For example, Col A is Proj Name, Col B is cost center, Col C is amount billed, Col D is Month billed, and Col E is employee. I want to be able to look up all that was billed to Project A for Cost Center 1234 in January...etc. etc...

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Looking up values that are repeated in a column

    Hi!

    Use the Autofilter.

    Select a cell in your data range
    Goto Data>Filter>AutoFilter

    From each drop down select the criteria to filter that column on.

    It's real easy!

    This could also be done with formulas but it's a whole lot more complicated.

    Biff

    "KC2006" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re:

    That works for me to see it on the current sheet. What if I have another sheet I want the data returned to??? Sort of like doing a VLOOKUP, but returning the sum of the lookups.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Looking up values that are repeated in a column

    Like I said, it can be done with formulas but it's complicated.

    How many rows of data are there? If there are 1000's of rows, using formulas
    isn't very efficient.

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Looking up values that are repeated in a column

    Hold on there just a second!

    I think I may have misunderstood what you want.

    You just want the total sum of amounts?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re:

    Yes, just the total. For example, if I have 10 employees (10 rows of data) from cost center 1234 book their time to Project A I want the total time booked to that project for each month.

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Looking up values that are repeated in a column

    Ok, that's easy!

    A2:A20 = proj names
    B2:B20 = cost center
    C2:C20 amount billed
    D2:D20 = month (as a TEXT entry: Jan, Feb, Mar, etc)
    E2:E20 = employee

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A20="some_proj_name"),--(B2:B20="some_cost_center"),--(D2:D20="some_month"),--(E2:E20="some_employee"),C2:C20)

    It's better to use cells to hold the criteria:

    G1 = proj name = 2007 upgrade
    H1 = cost center = AA100
    I1 = month = Mar
    J1 = employee = Smith

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A20=G1),--(B2:B20=H1),--(D2:D20=I1),--(E2:E20=J1),C2:C20)