Contitional formatting help

  1. #1
    Jeff
    Guest

    Contitional formatting help

    I have a problem with getting conditional formatting to work properly for
    me.

    What I want to do is use the cell background colour to indicate the number
    of items in the cells (column)
    I've spent hours trying to get it right :- (

    If F2 is equal to or less than 3 (or cell is empty) 'to orange
    If F2 is between 4 and 20 'to blue
    If F2 is equal to or greater than 21 'to green

    Solution gratefully accepted

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    it's pretty straight forward:

    Condition 1 is Cell value is less than or equal to 3 (orange)
    Condition 2 is Cell Value is between 4 and 20 (blue)
    Condition 3 is Cell Value is Greater than or equal to 21 (green)
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Die_Another_Day
    Guest

    Re: Contitional formatting help

    Condition 1 =
    Cell Value Is: less than or equal to: 3
    Condition 2 =
    Cell Value Is: between : 4 and 20
    Condition 3 =
    Cell Value Is: greater than or equal to: 21

    click the format for condition 1 and choose orange
    click the format for condition 2 and choose blue
    click the format for condition 3 and choose green

    HTH

    Die_Another_Day

  4. #4
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Contitional formatting help

    In Conditional formatting, set your first condition to Greater Than or
    Equal To 21 and set your color to Green.

    Set your second condition to Greater Than or Equal To 4 and set the
    color to Blue.

    Set the last condition to Less Than 4 and set the color to Orange.

    Does that work for you?

  5. #5
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Contitional formatting help

    Set Custom Formulas for your conditions.

    Orange Condition:
    =OR(F2="",F2<=3)

    Blue Condition:
    =AND(F2>=4,F2<=20)

    Green Condition:
    =F2>=21

    Note that the conditions as you described will not yield formatting for
    values between 3 and 4, and between 20 and 21. Thus 3.3 and 20.7 will not be
    formatted.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  6. #6
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Contitional formatting help

    Thanks for this.

    I think my logic is a bit fuzzy. I was trying to get the blank cells to be
    gray if empty or orange if value = 1 through 3 (I also mistated my origianl
    question about condition 1.

    Is there a way it (condition 1) can be changed to a formula so an empty cell
    stays gray when cell is empty but orange if n is in the range 1 to 3?

    Jeff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Yes, check condition 1 from less than 3 to between 1 and 3

  8. #8
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Contitional formatting help

    Mark,
    Thanks for this. I had mis-stated my question and have restated the issue
    about whether a cell is blank or between 1 and 3.

    What I do see in your reply is the sequence of the condition. I would have
    done it in the reverse sequence (had I know how) hehe. I have learned
    something here. Thanks again.

    Jeff

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Contitional formatting help

    Change the normal format of the cell to gray. Then follow my original
    instructions for the first two conditions and change the last condition
    to Greater Than 0.

    To reiterate:

    In Conditional Formatting, set your first condition to Greater Than or
    Equal To 21 and set your color to Green.

    Set your second condition to Greater Than or Equal To 4 and set the
    color to Blue.

    Set the last condition to *Greater Than 0* and set the color to Orange.