How do you add figure with a word in?

  1. #1
    Leamington Spa, UK

    How do you add figure with a word in?

    Hello,

    Can anyone 'in the know' advise how to add cell1 + cell2 + cell3 and get a numerical result when cell3 may contain a word. Cell3 represent postage and the word, if the order value is is high enough, would be FREE.

    It's not easy as it looks, it seems!

    Thank you.

    Ian

  2. #2
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: How do you add figure with a word in?

    I just did a quick test of adding three cells 10,FREE,5 and the summed answer
    was 15 which is as expected. I assume that FREE means it would be equal to a
    zero value. What kind of result are you getting that is causing you problems?

  3. #3
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: How do you add figure with a word in?

    Say your values are in A2, B2 and C2. C2 is the one that shows postage.
    Your formula is: =SUM(A2:C2). If these are not in adjacent cells, say in
    B2, F2 and H2, you may have to use =IF(H2="Free",B2+F2,B2+F2+H2)

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: How do you add figure with a word in?

    As Tim said, use the SUM function, it will ignore "FREE". You will get an
    error if you just use =cell1+cell2+cell3.

    Use =SUM(cell1, cell2, cell3) if they are not adjacent. =SUM(cell1:cell3)
    if they are adjacent.