Unprotecting a Sheet

  1. #1
    SergioCorreiaMaputo
    Guest

    Unprotecting a Sheet

    Hi,

    I am trying to insert rows in a sheet that was setup by someone else. When i
    try use the insert row function i get a message stating that excel cannot
    insert a row because it wants to keep the integrity of the formulas. The
    sheet itself is not protected and there are no macros that are running. How
    would i 'unprotect' this sheet in order to insert new rows?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Sydney, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit
    Posts
    1,394
    sounds strange. Selecting all the cell entries below the point where you want to insert the row, and drag everything down one row. ie instead of inserting a row, move the data down one row.

    EDIT another approach would be to select everything, then copy and paste everything into a new spreadsheet

    Matt

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Unprotecting a Sheet

    "SergioCorreiaMaputo" wrote:
    > I am trying to insert rows in a sheet that was setup by someone else. When i
    > try use the insert row function i get a message stating that excel cannot
    > insert a row because it wants to keep the integrity of the formulas. The
    > sheet itself is not protected and there are no macros that are running. How
    > would i 'unprotect' this sheet in order to insert new rows?

    Another guess is that you're trying to insert a row either within a
    multi-cell columnar array formula range itself, or where a multi-cell
    columnar array formula exists elsewhere (in another col) which straddles the
    row insert point.
    [although the error msg should be: You cannot change part of an array <g>]

    Try selecting the entire row at the insert point
    Press F5 > Special > Check "Formulas" > OK
    This selects all the formula cells in that row

    Check out each formula cell in turn,
    look out for any array formulas which are housed within curly braces { }.

    Then select the array formula cell(s) in turn, press CTRL + "/"
    This would select the entire array formula range(s)
    (if the selected cell is within the array).

    You would then need to press Delete
    to clear the entire array formula before you can insert a row
    (but I'm not sure you still want to do this though, as you would need to
    re-instate all the array formulas cleared after you insert the row)
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4