Find / compare result with list

  1. #1

    Find / compare result with list

    I am going to have a set of data to be checked against a set of default data, and then flagged if it outside the ranges.

    I have attached a quick example (i have not included all possibilites)

    For example for Ref 1 : this is from area 12, expected 1000 with an a result of 23, b result of 100 and c result of 50.

    It is required that the results are checked against the min and max targets, however these targets are dependant on the area / expected.

    Therefore for Ref 1, using the constant data, the min max for type are 50 / 200. As the actual result is 23 this is outside the permitted range and therefore needs notification.

    The data will be imported from another system, and therefore the layout will be similar to the data, so I am not sure how the problem ones will be actually identified (as each row will have different results).

    I am not sure as the best way to start looking at this (the only thought i have had so far is IF/OR!)

    Thanks
    Last edited by mdma; 06-20-2006 at 08:51 AM.

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Find / compare result with list

    Do you have an idea about how many types of results (a, b, c in your example)
    you can expect, and how many different Areas (12, 15, etc) you can expect?

  3. #3
    in the constants :

    areas will be upto 5 different areas

    as for the results, there will be 5 types of results, each then with the expected and min / max levels

    The number of actual result lines (ie ref) could be anything between 100 and 1000.

  4. #4
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Find / compare result with list

    Take a look at this:
    http://www.jlathamsite.com/uploads/for_mdma.xls

    No code in it, all done with formulas. I've included a sheet with my
    attempted explanation of how I arrived at the result, plus an added sheet
    where the formulas are put to work so you can see it all in action.

    I hope this comes close to what you want, and if not, well, then I'll just
    have to work a little harder won't I?

  5. #5
    thank you so much. that has worked a treat.

    i made the formula "real life" into a hidden sheet, and now the user just has to post the data into the initial sheet and it will then update a summary sheet accordingly.

    again, thanks alot